Someone Doesn't Want Me at the MTC...

Ni hao!

Well I finally arrive at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) so I can prep for my mission and learn Chinese to the best of my ability. I woke up at 3:30 est and finally arrive at the MTC 25 hours later...  After 2 mechanical issues, weather issues, running out of fuel, and a crew that ran out of legal flying time (resulting in an emergency crew needing to be flown into a small airport in Twin Falls, Idaho), I finally made it to the MTC.  The flight I was on happened to have about 10 or so returning missionaries on it, so for the many hours I was stranded in the airport I was able to talk with them and get advice on the mission.

I always imagined coming into the MTC with a few hundred other missionaries with a warm welcome and smiling faces.  Instead I was walked to my room at in the middle of the night by a single security guard and walked into my dark room where my companion was sleeping and I crashed on the bed.  I never thought my mission would start this way but I guess it makes for a good story!

My companion ended up being Elder Otani, who I already knew a little from BYU. He was helping me the entire first day and I was able to really feed off his energy and enthusiasm even though I was running on roughly 5 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours.  My district and zone is amazing and really made sure the new Elders and Sister felt included and loved.

I missed one Chinese class on the first day since I showed up late, so I was worried going into the next day of classes that I would be behind, but I was able to handle it and catch up quickly. It's intimidating because the teachers only talk in Chinese to you.  No English at all. On the second day here we taught our first lesson to our investigator and it was terrifying teaching a lesson in only Chinese. After being in the MTC for one day.  It was rough but we were able to work through it.  We taught him the second lesson the next day and are preparing our 3rd lesson for tomorrow.  We're going to try to commit him to be baptized. The scariest part is when he asks us a question and we're scared to say yes or no because we have no idea what he actually asked. There is one Elder and one Sister who have a lot of experience with Chinese, so they sort of help everyone else out.  There is also one Elder and one Sister who have no experience with Chinese at all.  I feel bad for them.  I have a little bit of experience and it helps so much.  I can't imagine having no experience.

I got called as District Leader my first day at the MTC. It was overwhelming at first and I didn't feel like I was the right choice since I was still asking the other Elders and Sisters for so much help getting around and knowing what to do because I missed orientation the day before. The extra meetings and duties I have made me stress about the language because the rest of the District would be studying Chinese as I was in meetings, but I know the Lord will help me be capable. I'm learning a lot about how to lead with love and making sure everyone in the District doesn't get overwhelmed and feels welcomed.

We had a devotional on Sunday and my favorite part was when the speaker was showing before/after pictures of investigators who were baptized.  The light you can see in their eyes after their baptism was so very special to see. It made me realize why I am doing this.  This mission is not for me.  It's to give the Light of Christ to others.

The spirit here is great and the Elders and Sisters are amazing.
​​​​​​
Elder Smith (Shi Zhang Lao)


Comments

Popular Posts