Just Keep Swimming....

Another week down! Definitely the toughest week so far. The language only speeds up and I feel like I can't catch up. The start of the week was really difficult for me in terms of staying positive about the language. I decided to read my Dad's journal entries from his own mission that he sends me each month to read along with my mission experience. I came to an entry where he was also having difficulty and he wrote a quote that my Mom actually sent him in letter. 

"Life is a grindstone; whether it grinds you down or polishes you up, depends on what you're made of." 

Even though I couldn't talk to my Mom or Dad, reading this felt as if they were saying it right to me and gave me motivation to keep pushing forward. This week was the first week we were not allowed any notes or language books into our lessons with us. It was very humbling. The more I know, the more I realize I don't know. Our oldest District in the Zone leaves this week. It's really sad to see them go. During class we had a 'surprise lesson' with them and had to teach them the Plan of Salvation without any prep. It went much better than expected and helped Elder Otani and I realize how much we've learned so far at the MTC. With the oldest District leaving, we're getting new missionaries Wednesday. We're getting THREE new Districts. 18 Elders and 10 Sisters. Our Zone is going to more than double. It'll be amazing to get to know the new missionaries and no longer be the youngest missionaries!


Yesterday President Uchtdorf was on campus! He walked right by my companion and I. It was the first time I met a General Authority. The spirit he had about him was amazing. One day I hope I can carry that same light around with me.

To end on a funny note, I decided to pull a light-hearted prank on the Sisters in my District. I wrote a "Dear John" and sent it to myself. When I got it, I pretended to not want to read it until I got back to my residence so I can focus on the lesson. I left to go to the bathroom with my companion and we planned for the other Elders in my District to go to my desk and read the letter in front of the Sisters as we were "in the bathroom". They realized it was a Dear John and when I got back from the bathroom I pretended as if I had no idea what was going on. The Sisters all pretended nothing happened and tried to just be super energetic. The next day I showed up to breakfast and acted super super sad. We got the rest of the Elders in the entire ZONE in on it, and after about a day every Sister in the Zone new about it. It was hilarious because everyone of the Sisters were acting extremely nice to me. And then, Saturday night we were having a Zone "Talent Show" and I decided to reveal that I wrote the letter myself. I started off acting as if I was apologizing for acting sad all week and said I hoped it didn't rub off onto anyone else. After saying that they all started clapping and cheering in support, but then I told them I wrote it myself. All the Elders exploded with laughter and all the Sisters' jaws dropped to the ground. It was hilarious how flawless the Elders pulled it off haha. It took a couple hours but the Sisters talk to me again...

The spirit in the MTC is indescribable. I learn so much every single day. I can feel my testimony grow stronger in every single class and meeting I have. If you ever have any doubts or hardships, turn to prayer and the Book of Mormon and you will find strength and answers.

Elder Smith (Shi Zhang Lao)

Comments

Popular Posts